Saturday, November 20, 2010

Short vowel "u" Pumpkin Hunt and Glitter Bottles

To "spice" up the word work station for short vowel u week, I had two activities for the kids to choose from: go on a short u pumpkin hunt, or look for short u words in glitter bottles. I was inspired to do the glitter bottles by one of the best teachers out there--Jessica Meacham! {Love her!}

I got the "Baby Soda Bottles" from a local Parent-Teacher Store. They are made by Steve Spangler Science--another one of my favorites! I stored the bottles and workpages in this plastic suitcase:
The kids would pick a bottle, look carefully at the letters found on the beads inside it, then try to figure out which short u word it spelled. When they figured out the word, they placed the bottle on top of the coordinating square on this work mat:
When they had all the bottles, the kids used this workpage to extend the learning a little bit more:

Now, let's go on a short u "pumpkin hunt"! I hung short u words on pumpkin cut outs all around the room. The kids read the pumpkins, then chose the correct box to write the word in using the workpage below:

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

LOVE the idea of hanging the pumpkins from the ceiling!! I can picture that in January with snowflakes hanging from the ceiling! Maybe with sight words for my kinders! Thanks for the great idea!

Ms.M said...

I agree, I Love this post! So many good ideas. My problem is which one to try first. Ha, ha.

Rachelle said...

How fun! Now....just need to get that ladder so I can hang them up! :) I just blogged about an ABC order post! Let me know what you think www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Literacy Teacher said...

You always have such clever ideas !!

Mrs. V said...

This is such a great idea. I can't wait to use it with my students. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thanks so great. I just was given a k/1st split yikes! Yes 3 weeks in. Do you sell the worksheets on tpt? I can use all the help I can get. Ha Ha.
Thanks elissa
familyaga@hotmail.com

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...