Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pop-Rockin' Describing Words

We had the most rockin' time with descriptive writing thanks to Abby's "Let's Get Pop Rockin'" packet!  If you are a teacher, and don't own this packet, you NEED it!    Oh.  WOW.   It all started when a glorious looking gift bag arrived in Mrs. Cooley's teacher chair.  The tag said that it was a gift for everyone from Mrs. Cooley!  The first task was to use describing words to tell all about the gift bag!  The kids were so anxious to get into that present, but I told them that they had to wait until after lunch! I know, mean ol' me!  After opening up our delicious surprise, we completed a wonderful pop rocks activity each day of the week, and had a blast using our senses to help us describe the yummy candy!  It was so funny to see some of the kids who were trying out the pop rocks for the first time!  I had to explain to a few little friends that it would NOT hurt!  {They were a little nervous, I think!}  

We got super curious while we were eating our Pop Rocks, and decided to do a little science "experiment".  We added Pop Rocks to a little tub of water, and discovered that moisture is what makes them pop.  We wanted to see how long they would keep popping, so we set a timer...they stopped after about 12 minutes!  CRAZY!
 We sat down together and brainstormed describing words for the Pop Rocks.  They did GREAT!

 We practiced creating similes, too!  These were so creative and smart!  And, we ended our descriptive writing mini unit by making a fun-tastic craft!

*Thanks so much for your hard work and amazing unit, Abby!  We loved it!


20 comments:

Rachelle said...

I can't wait to do this with my kiddos next month!!!!! P.S. your charts are sooooo cute!

1st Grade Rocks said...

Such cute ideas! Thanks for sharing!! {ps. your handwriting is fantastic!! So jealous!!}
~Heather

Gladys said...

I love this! I need to try this one with my firsties!

Ms. Wold said...

Love this idea! I need to do this with my kiddos when we talk about word choice!


✪ Miss W

Miss W Teaches

Unknown said...

Love it!
Jennifer

First Grade Blue SKies

Magan said...

Sam LOVED this and talked about it a lot! Thank you to Abby for the idea and to you for finding it for them :)

sandinmyshoes said...

I have this packet but haven't done it yet! Definitely using your ideas. Thanks!

Traci Clausen said...

My class LOVED when we did this activity. So fun!
Definitely a keeper!
Dragonflies in First

Stephanie Davis said...

You are so awesome! Another great idea to pass along....Can't wait to do this with my kids!

tzlaket said...

Love this!! Can't wait for us to do this--perfect follow up to "adjectives" we did for Dr. Seuss! :0)

Stephanie and Jamie said...

Well, we tried this today! I brought them a surprise...we predicted...we made an anchor chart...and drew a big class picture of each person eating their GRAPE Pop Rocks while "brainstorming" their simile! Such fun! Thanks for passing this along! I will post about it one day and link it back to your blog and the original maker! :0)

Beach Mama said...

Permission to pin to my Pinterest board?

Kristy said...

I gave you a Lovely Blog award!
Check it out here:
Teachin' First

Molly Maloy said...

Sarah,

So glad I found your adorable blog!! This is such a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for sharing the information about the packet from Abby! I am excited to be following your blog!

Molly
Lessons with Laughter

Unknown said...

I love your blog! So many cute ideas!!! Im your newest follower!! I hope you come by and check out my blog soon!!!

Brittany J

Stacy Johnson said...

Abby has such cute stuff! This is such a cute blog!! Love finding other 1st grade inspiration!

Stacy
Mrs Johnson’s First Grade

Tamera Wilson said...

I love stopping by your blog to check out your wonderful ideas! I just gave you a top ten award! Come by my blog to check it out. It will be posted within the hour.

:)
Tamera

http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com

Erin Sample said...

I just joined your blog as well. :) Thanks for recommending this packet. I love descriptive words... especially when a firstie uses them!
FanaticaboutFirst
Erin

aunt shimmy said...

Thanks for sharing! I just love your blog!!! so many ideas, and inspiring stories! May you keep it coming! need to get that packet! sharon.washington96@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I LOVE your blog. I just awarded you the "One Beautiful Blog" award. Stop by my blog to grab your award.
-Lovely Nina
Lovely Little Learners

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...