Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pumpkins and...Peduncles?



What IS a peduncle? Hint: it's not a name you call someone! A peduncle is actually another name for a pumpkin stem! Interesting, huh? This is just one of the fun facts we learned about pumpkins last week! The kids became scientists as they made detailed observations of the outside and inside of our class pumpkin! In math, we learned how to make estimations by estimating how many seeds we thought were inside our pumpkin. After exploring the inside of the pumpkin, the kids counted the seeds by putting them in piles of ten. We tasted real roasted pumpkin seeds then made a graph of who liked them! Check out our graph results below! We labeled the parts of a pumpkin using the poster at the top of this post! To top it all off, we had an exciting field trip to pick out our very own little pumpkins. {One of the kids lost her pumpkin peduncle. She wanted to go look for it to try to glue it back on--they sure do love those peduncles!}



Most of my first grade friends say, "Yes, Please!" to pumpkin seeds!



Adorable little paper bag pumpkin patch! All you do to make the pumpkins is stuff the bottom of a brown lunch bag with a few paper towels, twist the top to create a *peduncle*, then paint with tempera paints. I tied the middle with some fun ribbon!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Very fun! We were going to go to a pumpkin patch on a field trip this year but at the last minute it didn't work out (I was bummed!). I love all of the curriculum possibilities with pumpkins :)

Emily said...

I know know what a peduncle is thanks to your blog! :) I love the pumpkin seed graph, too!

I love reading your blog so I gave you a blog award. Check it out at my blog: http://playgroundduty.blogspot.com/

J9nKidz said...

OHMYGoodness sakes ... I had to google to find this out. My SK daughter came home a dement about there being another names for pumpkin stem. See, she has SLPD & makes up her own names for everything so I wasn't sure to believe this LOL! Now, I am not only proud to tell her she is right about the Peduncle word I thought she made up but, that it's a First Grader Lesson !!! TY TY TY

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...