Monday, December 19, 2011

We've Been Around the World... and Back!

They are finished...and they are PRECIOUS!  {Just sayin'.}  Look at this great example of our finished scrapbooks:
My sweet student teacher copied all of these books for me in full color--for FREE!  I am so grateful!  (Thanks, Mrs. Wideman!)  She also took the time to put all of them in page protectors and tie them with curly ribbon!  Cute, cute, cute!!!

First, we visited Mexico and broke open a piñata!  One little friend almost hit me with the piñata stick!  Kinda scary, and pretty hilarious!  I think I will remember that day the most.  The piñata didn't break open when it hit the ground--so you better believe those first graders ripped that colorful paper donkey to SHREDS! Seriously, there were pieces of it everywhere!  HA!
 Our next stop took us to France.  We sampled Yule Logs {Swiss Cake Rolls}--which they thought Mrs. Wideman and I made ourselves, and we sort of let them believe it!  It wasn't until snack time about a week or so later that someone brought some Swiss Cake Rolls and they had us figured out.  Oh well!  We also took a little trip to the very top of the Eiffel Tower!  We visited The Leaning Tower of Pisa (and learned that it really is NOT the Leaning Tower of PIZZA). Then we went over to the Colosseum and learned that they used to have some great battles there!  We read the story of Old Befana, and drew pictures of her and her broomstick. She sure did love to sweep!
 In Sweden, we learned that they have a Christmas gnome named the Tomte, and he delivers gifts in a sleigh pulled by goats!  How interesting--and strange!  In England, we learned about the Christmas Cracker tradition, and even got our own pieces of Evergreen tree!  Long ago, people believed that Evergreens were magical!  Neat!  We even got a coin to keep from the Plum Pudding!  
 We had a special visitor come talk to us about Christmas in Germany.  She brought real artifacts from her childhood Christmas celebrations in Germany!  We sampled real gingerbread and German candy!  YUM.  We made paper gingerbread guys and girls too!  After flying all around the world on Christmas Airlines, our Passport books were finally full!  We have a flag stamp from every country!
We also learned how to say Santa Claus in 6 other languages!  I think our favorite was "Babbo Natale".  {Say it with a fake Italian accent--super fun.} 

Whew!  This teacher is exhausted from the huge journey--but I wouldn't trade it for the world!  We had a blast, and I hope this is something my students will remember (and keep) forever!!  

{If you would like to still purchase a copy of my Christmas Around the World  Scrapbook, it will be ON SALE in my TpT store tomorrow!  20% off!  Woot! Who loves a bargain?!  It may be a little late to use this year, but save it for next year.  You'll be SO happy you did.} 

14 comments:

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

I love it!! Putting it in my plans for next year.
Yolanda

Kristen said...

oh my gosh, this is absolutely adorable!! What a wonderful unit!
Kristen

Kristin said...

So fun!! Love it!!!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Mrs D. said...

♥♥♥ thanks for sharing!
Merry xmas from Italy!
http://teacherl2online.blogspot.com/

Anita said...

I have nominated your blog for the Sunshine Award! Come on over to my blog to receive it!
Anita
Mrs. Bremer’s Kindergarten

Laurie said...

Love it!

http://firstgradelyonsden.blogspot.com/

Delighted said...

Oh my goodness! That looks like such a fun unit! So much learning going on there! Love it!

First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Mrs. M said...

Adorable! I hope to this next year!

Color Me Kinder

Mrs. Mack said...

My kids absolutely loved their plane tickets today! What a great unit!

Hope King said...

Love your blog! So, so cute! Definitely remember this for next year! Merry Christmas!

Hope King
Second Grade Shenanigans
www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

Magan said...

We had a chance to look through this together and I can't believe how much Sam remembers!!! It is put together so well and I have learned from it as well :) I can tell how much fun he had making it just by talking to him about it! Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too, see you soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to start this monday. It was a lot of work getting ready but I think the kids are going to have so much fun. They can't stop talking about how excited they are and we haven't even started! Thanks!!!

Unknown said...

Just bought the unit. I can't wait to start with my kiddos on Monday. This will be great. Our school is having a Christmas Gallery Walk with all of the destinations you have in your unit. The students are going to be ecstatic when they see how much they'll learn about Christmas Around the World. Thanks for your hard work.

Unknown said...

Want to use this. Looks like lots of fun and learning.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...