Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Me...In a Nutshell

This is a randomly random post.  I am sorry I have been MIA lately, but we are in the process of searching for a new house! Yay!  {Don't worry, parents, I'm not going anywhere--if anything, we will be even closer to the school!}

As I was beginning to clean out our closets and organize like a mad, crazy woman--I came across an idea I had years ago, and completely forgot about it--until now.  Although it might be a better idea for a beginning of the year activity, I think it could still be used at anytime throughout the year in order to learn more about your students.

So, I present to you the "Me...in a Nutshell" bag.

I am going to use it as a student of the week sharing bag, challenging my students to find items to place in the bag that will tell us things that we do not already know about them!  


So, here are some things you don't know about me..."In a Nutshell":

1.  I was on T.V.

When I was little, I was on a science experiment show with the awesome STEVE SPANGLER! {Mentos rockets, anyone?  He makes all kinds of crazy science toys, and is a downright GENIUS.} He is on Ellen all the time now, y'all!  Anyway,  I was one of the kids who did the experiments on his weekly show for our local news station for several weeks in a row.  I thought it was fantastic.  I also told all the kids in my class I was famous. {Ha!}  It is my ultimate goal to go to one of Steve's teacher workshops.  I just have to go do some cool science experiments with this guy!  



2.  I lived in Colorado.

I lived in Aurora, Colorado with my mom until I was in the 4th grade--when we moved to Birmingham to be near my older brother and sister-in-law who was having my mom's first grandchild, and my very first niece!  {That sweet little niece of mine is graduating high school this year.  I CAN'T believe it!!!}  On a side note, I have NEVER been skiing, even though we lived in the Rockies.  WHAT?!  So, I really want to ski one day, just to say I have done it!

3.  I am afraid of clowns.

Seriously...terrified.  I have no idea why.  If I get near a clown, even a friendly one, I break out in a sweat and feel like I can't breathe. {I have got to get over this so I can take my child to the circus one day!}

4.  I want to write and publish a children's book.

This has been my dream since first grade!  Writing in my journal was my absolute favorite thing to do in school.  I have written one story that I want to send to a publisher, but just haven't done it.  I might be scared.  But how COOL would it be to read my students a book I have written myself?  I would LOVE to say,  "Oh, and by the way, the author of this story is...ME!"

5.  I have been to Hawaii.

I went in the 5th grade because older brother played football for the Air Force Academy (Go Falcons!), and they played Hawaii!  So, our family went for the game and had a fantastic vacation, too!  I really want to go back there one day!  It was amazing!

6.  My first major wasn't education.

I would like to say that I had always wanted to be a teacher, but when I started college, I actually wanted to go into advertising.  I had an advertising internship that was great, but the experience revealed to me that I didn't have a passion for it.  I was led into teaching when I found out that I loved working with students at vacation bible school at my church!  I can't imagine doing anything else.  I LOVE my job.  {But y'all know that already.}

7.  Favorite movie of all time:  Father of the Bride.

{Steve Martin edition.}  I think I know every word of the movie, and watched it every day of the week leading up to my wedding.  I even had the theme song from the movie played after we were pronounced husband and wife!  {Um, I'm kind of cheesy, and I'm okay with that!}  I cry every single time I watch the part when it is the night before the wedding and the dad and his daughter play basketball together in the snow, and they share their special moment of saying goodbye to her childhood.  It is just too sweet! I cry even harder now, when I picture my sweet Emma getting married one day!

8.  I can't sing.

At all.  It's really kind of embarrassing.

9.  I wish there was a show called, "Dancing with the Regular People".

I'm not a star, and will never be one, but I sure wish I could be on that show!  I may not be able to sing, but I *might* be able to dance!!!

10.  My husband was a White House intern

Yes, I know, that has nothing to do with me, but when he went to work at the White House, it was a huge part of both of our lives.  He had to leave for D.C. only a week after we got engaged. I was broken hearted that he had to leave for months-- but so, so proud of him at the same time!  I went to D.C. several times while he was there and was able to tour some of the cool places that most people don't get to see!  We both will have a special place in our hearts for that city!

So, that's "Me...in a Nutshell"!  

*Teachers...click HERE to get your FREE "Me...in a Nutshell" cover page!

24 comments:

Lisa at Fourth and Ten said...

I love the fresh name "Me In a Nutshell", sounds so much more fun than "Me Bag!"
Lisa
Stories From Second

Glitzy In First Grade said...

I just LOVE your BLOG!!:)

http://glitzyinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Such a cute idea! Love the idea for a dancing with regular people! Lol
Jennifer

Primary Junction said...

I love your "Me In a Nutshell" bag! So stinkin' cute! I would love a "Dancing with the Regular People" show too. I'm pretty sure I have absolutely no dancing talent as I am a major klutz with no rhythm, but I sure would love to try. And the awesome workout wouldn't be too bad either. :-)

Kayla
Primary Junction

Mrs. Jones Teaches said...

I totally agree with #4 and #9. Totally.

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! It would also be a great "linky party" kind of idea!!
www.darlininfirst.blogspot.com

Shawna said...

Such a great idea! I too have the dream to publish a children's book, was a marketing major before teacher, CANNOT sing and love, love, love Father of the Bride {Steve Martin is awesome!} It has been nice getting to know you...in a nutshell!
Shawna

The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness! I have the same reaction to clowns. Heavy breathing... sweating... maybe some irrational tears. I can totally relate! I also would LOVE to write a children's book some day! :) We'll see how that goes... but you should TOTALLY submit your story!!! You never know what will happen until you try!

cassandra said...

I just told a friend the other day that I wish they would do dancing for people who were normal not celebs. I'm not good and can't go on so you think you can dance, but because I'm not a celeb, I can't go on dancing with the stars either!!!

Jen R said...

ha! I just did a post on a steve spangler science experiment and posted the same video! How cool is that you did that with him???

And I wrote a book, but now I don't know what to do with it! lol

♥ Jen
The Teachers' Cauldron

K-1 Teaching Besties said...

Love it!!! Check out our blog for lots of FREEBIES and classroom photos!!! We have some new groundhog and Valentines day activities on there!!!

www.k1teachingbesties.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love this! It's nice to get to know you better!


Check out our new blog!

Miss Foote said...

Such a cute idea and right now seems like a great time to do it, now that everyone is more familiar with each other. We can learn things we didn't know. You're an inspiration!

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee

Anita said...

Oh my word...my favourite movie is FOTB also! Our wedding song was the same as the movie's as well...and our first dance was also from the movie...and when we tore down our home to build a new, larger one, we built it just like the house in the movie {I think that's why it's my fav movie...it's the house!} My daughter is TERRIFIED of clowns, and always has been...she used to SCREAM, now she just gets all shaky and looks away {she's 10} I also have a -secret- dream to be an author of children's books, and have written about 5, and have outlined a series for older kids. I'm way too chicken to send it out though, I think rejection would just crush me! And I LOVE Dancing With The Stars!
Anita
Mrs. Bremer’s Kindergarten

Unknown said...

You've been tagged!
LOry
Fun for First

Fredia said...

Tag…You're It! Just a little fun way of saying …. "I love your blog" and want to share! Come see how to play this fun blog hopping game of tag!
Frogs in First

Fredia said...

Tag…You're It! Just a little fun way of saying …. "I love your blog" and want to share! Come see how to play this fun blog hopping game of tag!
Frogs in First

Team Darley said...

what a cute idea!!! I'm going to have to do this :) I tagged you over at my blog http://thelandof2ndgrade.blogspot.com/ so come check it out :)

Alex said...

So you kind of already did this with this post, but I tagged you anyway, because I love your blog! We've been busting out Candy Land: Sight Word Edition in my class during our morning family literacy time, and it's been a huge success! I hope you check out my blog to see the tag! :)

Alex
aintheclassroom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I saw an old post about quarterly skills checklists. Will you be sharing the others? That is exactly what I have been searching for to use in my classroom!

Laura said...

Love your list! Don't know why I just became a follower??!! Where have I been?? Love! Good luck with house hunting!


Laura
llmartin305@gmail.com
Peace, Love, and First Grade

Parent and Child Reading Assistance said...

What a wonderful post and a great activity for a class. I enjoyed all your stories. Good luck with your house search. I'll have to check out Steve Spangler. I was on Good Morning America when I was in the sixth grade. I just found out this month one of the kids who had an invention featured on the show like me published a children's book. It's called A Dog-Gone Tale by Randy Ruppert. I bet you'll publish your children's book someday.
Ammi-Joan Paquette is a children's author and agent. I'm having a Skype visit with her at our library on March 3rd to celebrate World Read Aloud Day. I don't know her well, but I'd like to put in a word for you. I toyed with the idea of writing children's books. I even took that course that was always advertised in magazines. I liked the course, but I couldn't come up with a great story. I don't think it's my thing. I sure love to read good children's stories though.
If you are ready with a query, I'd refer you to Joan. Here's a page about her. http://cynleitichsmith.livejournal.com/176205.html

mindy said...

Great idea and father of the bride part 2 is my favorite movie!!!! You have some amazing info on here:)

Unknown said...

Where can we find Me...in a Nutshell printable?

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...