Saturday, August 11, 2012

Math Investigators


Math is a mystery...and we're here to solve it!  This year, my new little friends will get to become math investigators during math station time!  The management board above will show them the stations they will go to each day.  After our whole group lesson, the investigators will have time to go to 2 stations.  When it is time for the 1st station, they will check their flashlight for their group name and look at the circle badges for the stations they will go to that day {I am waiting to meet my friends before labeling the flashlights.}  I will have 4 total stations:  Meet with the Chief, Computer Clues, Case Files, and Gumshoe Review.  I am PUMPED about my Gumshoe "Review" tub names--they all go along with the investigator theme!  Here is what the review tubs will look like this year:


And here is a close up of one of the tubs:


I will place 2 or 3 review activities inside each tub.  The investigators will choose from the 9 tubs, and they will be limited to 2 investigators per tub to ensure that each friend is participating in the activity equally, and to keep conflicts from happening.  

I have also found a creative way to store my TpT games, investigations series games, and other printable activities:


I will place a label at the top of each Case File with the title of the math game or activity inside!  Little investigators will choose from the case files for the "Case File" station!


I can't wait to meet my new investigators!!!   

7 comments:

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

I LOVE THIS!!! My school is doing Investigations this year and I've been contemplating how to integrate all of the games I've made and bought along with the games for Investigations and change things up a bit. This is so neat! Thanks for sharing. This is definitely going in my shopping cart.
Ms. A
Oceans of First Grade Fun

Lisa R. said...

How do you come up with these WONDERFUL ideas?!? I couldn't love it any more than I do! It's in my shopping cart & ready to go!! :)
Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Sarah Cooley said...

Thank you so much, sweet ladies!!! :) Hope y'all will find it useful! I can't wait to get started with it!!!

Dancing into First said...

oh I love it, this is a great way to make math interesting, and introduce centers in a fun new way. Thanks for sharing!
http://firstgradefunmrsdunn.blogspot.ca/

Kristen said...

I love your blog! You have such amazing ideas. Thank you for sharing. I teach first grade and have started my own blog but I can't imagine it ever being as great as yours!! Thanks for passing along some inspirationg!
http://fantasticfirstgradeideas.blogspot.com/

Inês de Castro said...

I loved the blog! I'm studying to become a teacher and I'm absolutely thrilled with this idea :) Following!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,
I'm about to buy your Bee Behavior on TPT and was wondering are there templates for your Rule Bees in that packet? Those are adorable and I would love to have them. Thanks
akidd@lcss.us

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...