Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Imagination Station


The imagination station. I think the name says it all, but it could also be named the inspiration station. This is the place in our room where children become authors and illustrators. Stories come to life, and favorite books we have read together inspire my students to create their own characters and new stories. I like to think they become "little imagineers"! I had two little boys a few years ago who loved to sit and make up their own non-fiction books together. They seriously blew me away with the things they wrote! Usually the first page would begin with a serious, yet simple introduction like, "Sharks are dangerous. Stay away from them." Or, "Fires are dangerous. Stay away from them." Everything was dangerous. But the pages following the introduction would be full of charts, diagrams, labeled drawings, timelines, and interesting facts they had learned about volcanoes, tornadoes, snakes, bears...you know, all the dangerous things! I really wish I had kept some of their books. They loved to share everyday, and the other kids in the class really looked forward to hearing what else was dangerous! It was amazing though--their excitement and enjoyment for writing got the other kids excited too!


I added the chalkboard and bird tree mural to the inspiration station this year, but I am still on the hunt for a larger writing table! The two blue boxes on top of the table are the "author's toolbox" and "illustrator's toolbox".

9 comments:

Ginger Snaps said...

Very cute! As always!

Gladys said...

Sarah I love your Imagination Station...what a perfect name for a place where children will be able to use their creativity! Thanks for sharing with us!

-Gladys
www.teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com

Casey said...

What exactly do you have in your toolboxes? I love that idea. I stumbled upon your blog by accident yesterday and LOVE it! I want to be in your class! Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheryl said...

What a cute idea!! I love the toolboxes, chalkboard sign and the tree. You are sooo creative. Thanks for the inspiration.

Erin said...

Came across your blog and love it! Even though I teach 3rd grade I keep finding tons of ideas that I love! Thank you!

Cathriona Mernagh said...

Hi, I have posted some cute "How to..." handouts for my class who are a similar age. Check them out on www.missmernagh.com.
p.s I just love your site!

Anonymous said...

Love your site I get great ideas!! I was wondering where you find time to allow kids to do the imagination station? Any suggetions?

Sarah Cooley said...

Thanks anonymous! The imagination station is really my writing station--the kids go there as one of their rotations in my literacy block (we do the daily 5 in my room).

Unknown said...

I absolutely love your tree!! Did you paint your tree on your wall? It is so adorable!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...