Friday, January 21, 2011

Have you ever seen a pink penguin?


I know you want to hear all about this pink penguin, but first, let me just tell you, my class has had an absolute BLAST learning about penguins this week!  During independent reading, the kids have used our penguin research tub of books to discover new learning!  They have been busy writing down fun facts on sticky notes and adding them to our fat little penguin anchor chart!  {It has crazy big eyes, of course!}


We used rulers to find out exactly how tall a 4 foot Emperor Penguin is, and everyone had fun standing next to a life sized Emperor Penguin chart to see how they would measure up!  We even started adding some facts we learned about Emperor Penguins!


During buddy reading, the performer was brought out in many of my little friends as they practiced plays like "Tacky the Penguin" and "Winter Friends"!  One of my favorite activities of the week has been reading the picture book Pink!  After we read about Patrick the pink penguin, we decided to create our own little guys using pink scrapbook paper.  Then the kids had a writing activity called, "Meet my Pink Penguin!"  I love that one of the penguins is named Michael and takes karate lessons.  First graders are creative...and funny!



17 comments:

Abby said...

Aw, darn! I haven't hard of Pink before! I'll have to make sure to include him in my activities next year!!! LOVE IT!

KellyTeaches said...

Aww very cute, first grades are very creative!

Ms.M said...

How cute! There are so many darling ideas on here I can't pick my favorite.

Ms. M
www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

Janine said...

If I had a penguin, she would definitely be Pink!

Kim said...

I love that book! Adorable idea to go along with it! I'll be finding time to fit that in next week! THANKS!!!

AbbyS. said...

super cute. I must check out that book.

Hi, I'm Harmony said...

Hi Sarah!

{LOVE} the blog! I linked to yours on mine, hope you don't mind. ;)

I hope you get that SmartBoard! Let me know how it goes.

~Mrs. Beck

http://mrsbecksgotclass.blogspot.com/

Lori Faas said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tacky and have Never heard of Pink before! I love the penguins and I agree that first graders are the best! :)

Julie said...

So Cute! I mean who doesn't love PINK?!?

Katie Smith said...

This is soooo adorable! love all your ideas!

Rachelle said...

Oh my heck! Who wouldn't love a PINK Penguin!!!!
-Rachelle
www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Jenn Bates said...

I have never heard of PINK but I will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing!!!
Jenn
http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/

Erica Bohrer said...

This is adorable. I just ordered the book from Amazon. Thanks for following my blog!
Erica
http://ericabohrer.blogspot.com/

Kris Hughes said...

Love the organizer on the penguin. I altered it for a study on pandas! Thx! I linked up to your site! www.cropluvingirl.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I did the Pink! penguin activity with my students and they LOVED it! Everyone who passed by my classroom commented on how cute they were. I was so sad to send them home! They cheered up the hallway in the gloomy month of January.

Amanda at Learn, Laugh, Grow said...

Hello from your newest follower! Love the penguin activities!! I am really looking forward to reading your future posts :)

I just started blogging this week and I would love it if you would stop by to check out my blog!

Amanda
Learn, Laugh, Grow

Katrina Byers said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...