Saturday, January 15, 2011

Our Fact Family Album

Fact families can  be pretty tricky for first graders, but there are so many great visuals to help reinforce this concept--building fact family houses, using number triangles, and even making actual fact "families" with cute little kid-drawn people!  I gave each student a different set of numbers, and they were to draw a family of four with the 4 number sentences for the fact family displayed on each person. The kids glued their family "photos" to scrapbook paper, and we compiled them into a class fact family album!  I think they turned out pretty cute!


8 comments:

Abby said...

This is a great idea! LOVE IT!

Gladys said...

What a cute idea!

Katie King said...

So cute! Hope you don't think I'm nuts but I was looking for notepads for myself and I thought the little bird on one of these looked just like your classroom "pet". Love your ideas! http://www.doodlebugspaper.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=Notepads

Brooke Perry said...

This is adorable!

Rachelle said...

Um....hello? How did you know I was doing fact families next week! GENIUS!!!
-Rachelle
www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Kim said...

This is such a cute idea! I always have my kids make their "Real Life Fact Family" by drawing the boys on one half of their paper and the girls on the other and then coming up with the 4 number sentences based on how many girls & boys they have in their fam. It always turns out super cute!

Cathriona Mernagh said...

What a cute idea!It's a great way to get them thinking and creating.My class will be doing this on Monday. They are going to love it. Thanks for sharing.

Cathriona @ www.missmernagh.com

Lauren said...

I love this idea! I've been teaching fact families for a week already, but it's a tough concept for first graders. I'll definitely be doing this next week.

I just came across your blog tonight. It's always great to find other first grade ideas-- especially those that are practical and "real" teachers are using. I see you graduated from Samford-- I did too!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...